Our History

The History of the Burkburnett First Assembly of God church

 

The Burkburnett First Assembly of God had its humble beginnings in a small building just south of West College Street and Preston Road. The church was a large, square building with no Sunday School rooms. The parsonage was located behind the church. It was a two-room house with a shed-room on the back.

When the church was chartered in 1922, the first meeting place was then an old tin building on the corner of Preston Road and West 3rd Street.

After the oil boom in Burkburnett, the church experienced a large growth in numbers. The oil companies had employed numerous men to run it’s refineries. Many of these men found their way to the new church on Preston Road. Tent revivals were springing up across the area. One evangelist in particular, Oscar Berryhill, who was a full-blooded Indian, preached in full Indian regalia.

In 1937, the decision was made to move the church to the corner of Avenue B and College Street. The church remained at that location until October 2011 when the new facility at 1110 South Preston Road was completed. With the new location came a new name, The River Assembly of God.